Saturday 9 June 2012

Day 1: Lands End to Treyarnon Bay

Having slept badly last night, I was up early this morning and eating breakfast by half past 7. Full english demolished, my Father drove me from Penzance to Lands End.

Although it was raining as we left the Youth Hostel, by the time we arrived at Lands End the sun was out.     Even though it was only half past 8 there were several people there ready to set off on the same journey as me. There were a few groups that looked very professional with their matching racing bikes/clothes/helmets. Everyone I spoke to had different routes and different time limits, and it makes you realise that it's a personal challenge, not something everyone does the same.

We walked to the signpost and looked out to sea, and then I posed for some photos. Millie Moo Bear also posed well, sitting on the front of the bike.



I set of just before 9am, surprised it was still sunny. The weather held all day and I followed the coast road back up to Penzance and then cut across, stopping at Camborne services for a McDonalds lunch before carrying on, passing above Truro.



I'm now stopped for the night at Treyarnon Bay, north of Newquay. The Youth Hostel provides food in the evenings and at breakfast, so I'm all sorted for tonight and ready to set off again tomorrow.
Today I covered 56 miles, taking about 7 hours. It's been uneventful apart from the river that appeared across one of the roads I had to cycle over; the wind has been in my favour and the weather has held. All in all, not bad!

I'd love to hear from you, although currently phone signal is a bit iffy! My LEJoG mobile is 07968004884.

Wish me luck for tomorrow!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment