Saturday 23 June 2012

Day 15: Tongue to John O'Groats

I made it. What an emotional journey.

The day was always gonna be a long one in my mind. But as I started cycling I had the Final Countdown song in my head.

The first half was very hilly and it was misty too. After about 30 miles I met Rachel, a moment I had been waiting for for a long long time. She gave me lots of food and then took my bags so I could complete the day without worrying about the weight, which was starting to hold me back.

I cycled into Thurso and met up with Rachel again in a small tea shop. I had a cup of tea and a cream bun.

Then I cycled the last 21 miles to John O'Groats. As I approached it started to rain and the landscape was very grey. I crossed the finished line at about half past four, and took lots of pictures and videos at the signpost.

We packed the bike into the car and I put on clean clothes for the first time in weeks!

We drove into Wick, about 20 miles down the road and found food and a small apartment to sleep in. I'm so tired, and looking forward to sleeping and not having to get up and cycle in the morning.

I'm so glad for it to all be over, but I am glad I have done it, it's been a wonderful experience. Thank you to everyone who has supported and sponsored me over the last two weeks, I couldn't have done it without you!!

Stay tuned for pictures and videos when I get home.



Mark

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Mark - fantastic achievement! Sounds like you continued to do well after we last saw you.
    We also suffered from a strong headwind for the final two days but arrived safely on Friday afternoon and celebrated with a drink or two :o)
    I hope you enjoyed it.

    Kerry

    ReplyDelete