Wednesday 20 June 2012

Day 12: Glencoe to Loch Ness

Before I start telling you about today I would like to make an apology.

Before I set off I told everyone that I was cycling from Lands End to John O'Groats alone and unaided. This has not turned out to be true and here is why: from every text and phone call I receive, to the people I stay in the hostels with; from Vinay who I met and cycled with in the south, Nibbs through Bristol; to the group I have been with for the last few days, I never felt like I was alone. I personally would like to thank all of them for the kindness they have shown me on this trip. They made it bearable.


Now to today!

Glencoe was a very nice hostel, completely surrounded by mountains and near a nice pub too. Although this morning there were flies everywhere. It was a short hop of about 20 miles to Fort William where I stopped at a cafe and had tea and sugary cakes. Following the Lochs from there it was flat, fast paced, busy roads to Fort Augustus. Out of nowhere I was buzzed by a Tornado aircraft which nearly took me off my bike. As he went over he dipped his wings to me, which made my day.

I had lunch at around 2pm with the knowledge that I had not far to go. Oh how I was right. Within an hour I had made it to my destination, before 4 O'Clock! As I'm writing this now I am still waiting for the Youth Hostel to open for check-in, sat on the shores of Loch Ness.

Sadly the group of cyclists I was with have now gone on and will finish a day before me. But 3 more days left, who knows who I might meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment